Swiss german, spoken

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Sun Jun 12 23:45:52 CEST 2005

I quote your previous message:

>> Ys, but that is bollocks. Every language can be written.

Being "unwritten" is not a property of a language per se, it is a property
of an *instance* which would be tagged, such as an audio recording of the "I
have a Dream" speech, which does not contain written content. This is
similar to other uses of script: when I tag text with Arab, I am not saying
that that language is always written in Arabic, just that the instance is.

Thus the interpretation for "code for unwritten languages" -- which is not
contravened by the text of ISO 15924 -- is that when tagging data, it is
indicating an instance where the language happens to be unwritten. So using
en-Zxxx-US for the "I have a Dream" speech is perfectly reasonable.

‎Mark