Swiss german, spoken

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun Jun 12 19:03:23 CEST 2005

At 09:40 -0700 2005-06-12, Mark Davis wrote:

>so gsw-Zxxx could mean unwritten Swiss German, en-Zxxx unwritten English,

In what way is English an unwritten language? English is a written
language; application of Zxxx to it would, I think, be a misuse of
that tag. Zxxx is "code for unwritten languages". Not "code for
materials not written".

Though it *is* a little odd that we have a code for languages in the
list of script codes.

Swiss German, of course, is often written for various cultural purposes.