Language X within scope of language Y

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Jan 19 18:44:23 CET 2005

Peter Constable scripsit:
> I would agree that "en-IT" expresses "English as written/spoken in
> Italy", but I think it is going too far to say that <foo
> xml:lang="en-IT"> is what should be used for English content that is
> expected to be reproduced by a text-to-speech processor with an Italian
> accent.

I agree, although I have been known to write "<span xml:lang="en-TH">etcetera
etcetera</span>" in an email or two.

> I would say that they semantics for xml:lang="ll-CC" should be based on
> normal usage, which would be "language ll as written/spoken by a
> native-speaking community in country CC".

"Native" may be too strong, especially in languages of wider communication
that cross country boundaries.  Swahili is probably a case of this:
six out of seven speakers are non-native, and it is heavily used in
several countries.

--
"But I am the real Strider, fortunately,"       John Cowan
he said, looking down at them with his face     jcowan at reutershealth.com
softened by a sudden smile.  "I am Aragorn son  http://www.ccil.org/~/cowan
of Arathorn, and if by life or death I can      http://www.reutershealth.com
save you, I will."  --LotR Book I Chapter 10