Language X within scope of language Y

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed Jan 19 18:24:18 CET 2005

I would agree that "en-IT" expresses "English as written/spoken in
Italy", but I think it is going too far to say that <foo
xml:lang="en-IT"> is what should be used for English content that is
expected to be reproduced by a text-to-speech processor with an Italian
accent.

I would say that they semantics for xml:lang="ll-CC" should be based on
normal usage, which would be "language ll as written/spoken by a
native-speaking community in country CC". In the case of "en-IT", that
would mean "English as written/spoken by a native-speaker English
community presumed to exist in Italy".

If you have a case in which processing must apply certain rules from
language B to content that is nominally in language A, such as applying
an Italian or German accent to English text, or treating English text as
the German label for something and wanting to apply English rules for
semantics and German rules for something else, then I think the
relationships that need to be described go beyond the capabilities of a
single attribute like xml:lang.

Peter Constable