Region subtags under 3066 and 3066bis

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Thu Feb 24 17:39:16 CET 2005

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

> An "old" RfC 3066 implementation happy to recognize something
> in a language tag could handle AA, QM, etc. as "erroneous",
> not necessarily with the same result as for "unknown" codes.

Sorry, upon reading this again I do see that Frank is talking about
private-use codes being different from unassigned codes.  RFC 3066
allows newly assigned codes but expressly forbids private-use codes.  So
the validating processors he is talking about might accept AB
(unassigned but valid) but reject AA (private-use).  My mistake.

However, I still contend that existing implementations that validate
their input will need to be updated if they are going to support all the
tags available under RFC 3066bis.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/