Region subtags under 3066 and 3066bis (long)

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Tue Feb 22 15:19:11 CET 2005

John Cowan wrote:

> I think "R 49" means "reserved by document 49".

Vaguely I recall that R49, R68, and R had something to do
with roads or car plates.  I don't find it on the ISO 3166
pages today, but two RBs clearly say "don't use these codes".

> we are using the ISO 3166 codes not as intended, but as
> mnemonic aliases for the underlying M.49 codes.

Sometimes losing old numbers when their old alias is reused
(280 or 886), but not always (200).  Sometimes there's an
alias without a number (TW) or a number without alias (830).

Some "physical-economic entities" are fictitious (EH), some
aliasses are ignored as "unofficial" (AC, GG, IM, JE, UK),
some were and are even no ccTLD (CP, DG, EA, IC, TA).

OTOH you offer 7 aliasses AQ, BQ, BV, FQ, GS, NQ, and TF,
which is very generous for uninhabited areas without UN
number.  Fortunately SMOM is no full UN member, it would
be very confusing to have a country without territory. ;-)

                     Bye, Frank