Region subtags under 3066 and 3066bis

Frank Ellermann nobody at xyzzy.claranet.de
Fri Feb 18 20:22:26 CET 2005

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin wrote:

> Where are you putting the Malvinas in AR or in GB ?

To the north of GS in FK.  There's no problem with en-FK
and en-GS, maybe they are even different.

> the IETF is not in the business of deciding what is a
> country.

Sure, but FK is a valid ccTLD and a valid 3166 country
code, and unlike BQ / FQ / NQ there's also a population.
The UN region number is 238.

As far as I'm concerned the queen of Scotland, the queen
of England, and the duchess of Normandy can fight it out
if they have a problem with AC / BM / CP / DG / FK / GB
/ GG / GI / GS / IM / IO / JE / KY / MS / PN / SH / TA
/ TC / UK / VG.  If they don't confuse VG and VI and do
not alienate the about 47 inhabitants of PN, who cares ?

Apparently 3066bis doesn't want CP, DG, and TA in this
collection, that's fine.  It also doesn't want AC, GG,
JE, and UK.  That's a pain, because users know ccTLDs.
And adding a useless BQ to GS is utter dubious.

                        Bye, Frank