Region subtags under 3066 and 3066bis

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Fri Feb 18 13:42:36 CET 2005

At 05:27 18/02/2005, Frank Ellermann wrote:
>The deprecated FQ could get a canonical TF.  It's useless, why
>     fr-FQ for "French as in Kerguelen" if there is "fr-TF" ?

:-) Where are you putting the Malvinas in AR or in GB ?
RFC 1591: the IETF is not in the business of deciding what is a country.

I explained that a WG-Languages would be an error in the IETF, protocols
not being concerned by languages but by bytes possibly  filtered by
scripts. But that a WG-Tags would be important to keep the IETF directly
involved in Reference Centers (theme I work on). I therefore plan to
introduce a Draft on Table tags (tabtags). The languages tabtags are
obviously a necessary example. The Draft will provide a comparison with IDN
tabtags, ccTLD Whois Tabtags, etc. and their different relations.

1. Could someone give me a real example of a protocol needing to call the
protocol parameters clearinghouse about "fr-Latn-TF". I really see
what  they cannot be used for, but I am at genuine loss about what they can
be used for (I mean for a computer).

2. has some work beeing carried on the format of a content for language
tabtags. If these tabtags are to be of use in a network/computer
environment they must be related to an information that computers can read
in XML, ASN.1 or other formats.

3. has an OID been considered for the language tabtags (IANA is also an OID
registry).

Thank you.
jfc