LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM: mn-Mong-CN

Misha Wolf Misha.Wolf at reuters.com
Fri Feb 18 18:51:58 CET 2005

We're seeing two different approaches:

1. Generalise from aa-XX and aa-YY to aa-Tttt-XX and aa-Tttt-YY

Where a language is sometimes written using one script and sometimes
using another script, add the relevant script codes to the usual
tags.  The usual tags take the form ll[-CC].  And we've decided that
script codes, when used, are placed after the "ll" code, like so:
ll[-Ssss][-CC].  Then given any two tags aa-XX and aa-YY, the
addition of the script code Tttt results in the two tags aa-Tttt-XX
and aa-Tttt-YY.  Thus we end up with:
   aa
   aa-XX
   aa-YY
   aa-Tttt
   aa-Tttt-XX
   aa-Tttt-YY

2. Treat each ll-Ssss-CC request as an ad hoc registration

If we wish to indicate the writing of aa-XX and aa-YY using script
Tttt, we have to drop the -XX and -YY and use just aa-Tttt *unless
we can demonstrate some differences* between aa-Tttt-XX and
aa-Tttt-YY.  Thus we end up with:
   aa
   aa-XX
   aa-YY
   aa-Tttt

What we need to do is directly discuss these two different
approaches.

Misha

the views of Reuters Ltd.