LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM: iu-Cans

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Sat Feb 5 07:23:59 CET 2005

> From: John Cowan [mailto:jcowan at reutershealth.com]

> The remaining language-script-and-country tags are bs-Cyrl-BA,
bs-Latn-BA,
> iu-Cans-CA, iu-Latn-CA, tg-Arab-TJ, and tg-Cyrl-TJ.  I think these
> all have the same problem we've been discussing with iu-Cans-CA: no
> evidence available that the country codes are anything but redundant.

Tajikistan is reportedly used in Tajikistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan,
Russia, Turkmenistan, Ukraine and Uzbekistan. Tajik speakers in these
various countries live in contact with other language communities, with
different external influences depending on the country they live in. You
really think there's no distinctions?

Peter Constable