Language X within scope of language Y

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Wed Feb 2 16:37:11 CET 2005

L.Gillam scripsit:

> The issue of England/Scotland/Wales aside
> (http://www.unece.org/cefact/locode/gb.htm), 3166-2 contains various
> 2-2 constructions;

ISO 3166-2 codes are variable-length, although the first two characters
are always the relevant 3166-1 alpha-2 code.

> 3166-3 is for ".... names of countries and their
> subdivisions - Part 3: Code for formerly used names of countries",
> which may or may not resolve issues raised previously on this list. It
> seems to provide alpha-4s.

The so-called alpha-4s are just two concatenated alpha-2 codes, and
code for changes in codes: thus YUCS indicates that the country
formerly coded YU is now coded CS.  Such changes in code usually,
but not always, reflect underlying changes in country name.

> Are there plans for handling these under
> RFC 3066, or is it already included somewhere in 3066bis that I missed?

ISO 3166-3 is not relevant to RFC 3066 or RFC 3066bis.

BALIN FUNDINUL          UZBAD KHAZADDUMU        jcowan at reutershealth.com
BALIN SON OF FUNDIN     LORD OF KHAZAD-DUM      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan