Generic variant subtags in RFC 3066bis

John Cowan jcowan at reutershealth.com
Tue Apr 19 21:55:16 CEST 2005

Michael Everson scripsit:

> Zzzzzt. Thank you for playing.
>
> See http://www.evolpub.com/Americandialects/AmDialMap.html

Indeed.  The first sentence therein is "Traditionally, dialectologists
have listed three dialect groups in the United States: Northern, Midland,
and Southern."  I didn't pull this out of my bunghole, you know.

> >That's an objection of a different sort, and I'll take it up separately.
> >I don't really see why Midland en-us is any different from Scouse en-gb.
>
> Register Midland en-US then.

Michael, either dialects are registerable or they aren't.  Which is it?  (Don't
answer for at least two weeks.)

--
John Cowan  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com  jcowan at reutershealth.com
Economists were put on this planet to make astrologers look good.