recently-approved tags

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Tue Apr 12 12:58:45 CEST 2005

Dear Tex,
You know that I fully share  this type of concerns. But I think this a
matter of utter caution. I want a people's multilingual internet by the
people for the people. Not out of political faith, but out of technical
necessity for the network to stay together, because at the end of the day
the people vote with their money.

To register lang3tags does not really harm. They are a need to patch the
XML dead-end Addison Philips detailed on another list. The final solution
will at least include lang-script-region-referent-style multilingual
description as a necessary root of probably much more. So they do not
conflict with the final solution which will swallow them. So there is an
attitude problem but no real harm.

So, you are correct about this being unfortunate. We all know it is to test
the capacity to oppose a certain way to read the IESG Charter of the
WG-ltru and to push for another vision of the IANA langtags database. This
vision includes registration authoritative approval, language preemption by
the initial registrant, lack of cultural crosschecking, monolingualism.
This is fully documented on another list. It would only result in a
balkanization of the Internet, because it is an architectural layer
violation confusing internationalization with multilingualization.

It is already quite helpfull that the IESG has identified the flaws of the
preceding propositions: let imagine the situation if the first last calls
had succeeded with texts now already substantially corrected and
reorganized. Yet, there is still a lot to accomplish and thorny questions
in the Charter to debate and address.

Now, the immediate problem is to try to make some people understand they go
too far while making other people to still give them a chance and not to
block the IETF. Not starting a language war is not very simple under the
current circumstances. A war destroys: in a global system we would all lose.

As usual the danger comes from the "apprentis sorciers". This is why we
must try to cool the situation - all the more if things blow-up. But to
cool the situation is certainly not to give-up.

jfc