revision of ISO 3166

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Tue Sep 7 15:18:25 CEST 2004

At 05:51 -0700 2004-09-07, Peter Constable wrote:
>Nobody seems to have anything they want to say regarding stability issues.

Is it necessary?

As the Language-Tag Reviewer, I have had little luck following the
drafts of the revisions, so early on I just threw up my hands and
waited for the rules to congeal by consensus of others. To date I
detect little actual consensus given the tug-of-war between people
who want a Swiss-army-knife code that doesn't just tag languages but
is a portmanteau for all the locale stuff people also want.

For years I have urged the ISO 639 and ISO 3166 committees to adhere
to stability.