an old item: es-americas

jcowan at reutershealth.com jcowan at reutershealth.com
Thu Mar 25 19:57:58 CET 2004

Michael Everson scripsit:

> I asked legitimate questions about the grammar of [Latin American Spanish] and
> no one was able to answer them. I was specific about pronoun and
> conjugation use. I speak Mexican Spanish. I can tell the difference
> between it and Argentine Spanish and between it and Spanish Spanish
> and between those and Colombian Spanish.

I grant that it's an underspecified and written-only dialect, but so is
modern standard Arabic (some political speeches notwithstanding).

> I did the best I could given my understanding of the definition of
> "language" we use.

The effect of which is that es-mx is now in use instead, thus blatantly
overspecifying.

--
John Cowan  jcowan at reutershealth.com  www.reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan
Rather than making ill-conceived suggestions for improvement based on