RFC3066bis progress: extensions

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Fri Mar 5 17:41:28 CET 2004

I don't recall the message. But you all should look at the latest draft

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-phillips-langtags-01.txt

You will see that we have changed the extensions quite significantly from the
original. It is now basically a way of having a language tag with some
private-use stuff attached to it.

So you can have, as before in RFC 3066, "x-constable-gorp", but you can also
have in RFC 3066bis, something like "de-de-x-constable-gorp". Everything after
the "x-" in either case is private use, not defined by this RFC. The purpose is
to allow people to attach information which more finely specifies the language
or usage without having to have registered tags.

Mark

[BTW, the IETF process for drafts is pretty painful; we've submitted pdfs
because they are phenomenally easier to read, but with only random success at
getting them posted, and no feedback as to why...]

http://www.macchiato.com
► शिष्यादिच्छेत्पराजयम् ◄