Linguasphere -- An appeal for clarity

Jeremy Carroll jjc at hplb.hpl.hp.com
Fri Jun 4 18:26:07 CEST 2004

Hi Misha

 > Please can we keep separate the discussions of:

I am not sure we can ... in this group surely our interest in other
standards is whether they help us in our mission, relating to RFC 3066
and its successors. If we look at the linguasphere stuff and answer qu 2
in the negative, then we at least are in part saying that from our point
of view this is not a useful standard to have (either BSI or ISO), at
least to the extent that the use cases we care about are not assisted.

Obviously a standard that was scoped to a domain that did not overlap
(or only ever so slightly overlapped) our domain of interest would not
be pertinent to discussion. But if BSI or ISO considers endorsing a
scheme that does overlap our scope then we should either embrace or
oppose it. Perhaps if the explicit scope of linguasphere is narrowly
constrained to exclude the domain of interest of this group, then I
could agree with a shrug to qu 1, but if not, there will be an extended
period of confusion while people work out when to use linguasphere and
when to use RFC 3066 (or its successors)

Admittedly I found Peter's comments on Northern Thai (your qu 1) much
more compelling than any comments on your qu 2

Jeremy