Question on ISO-639:1988

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Wed Jun 2 18:35:45 CEST 2004

as ISO 639-6
> where people in "the know" will have the opportunity of accepting it
or rejecting it.  If
> nobody wants it fine... but let us consider it with open minds.

Debbie, I have no qualms whatsoever with this statement: I don't deny
that it is in a standards process within BSI; I know a proposal will be
presented to TC 37/SC 2/WG 1 to consider a new work item proposal; I
think it's entirely appropriate that it should be considered with open
minds.

I am simply concerned at giving the impression that it *will* be an ISO
standard when that is not by any means certain since there isn't even a
new work item (you haven't actually made that claim, but the way you
speak can easily leave that impression), and I *really* would like to
see better analysis justifying the need. In the absence of such
analysis, I'm not sure I could recommend to the US TAG that they vote in
favour of accepting a NWIP.

Peter

Peter Constable
Microsoft Windows Division