Question on ISO-639:1988

Debbie Garside debbie at ictmarketing.co.uk
Tue Jun 1 16:08:14 CEST 2004

>I looked at the description of Irish that is or was on the
>Linguasphere website once, and it divided things up so much that I
>find it hard to see a use for it.

Also, that is the reason for the family of 639 standards. If you don't need
the granularity offered by ISO 639-6 use 639-3/2/1 (and 5) as there is
complete mapping between them which means you can start with 639-1 but
expand to use 639-6 if you find it necessary.

It is my opinion that most people will use 639-1 (alpha2) or 639-3 (alpha3)
but that should not mean we do not cater for those that need 639-6 (alpha4)
level of langtags (as the XML community obviously do).

Debbie