ISO 3166 and RFC 3066bis

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Wed Jul 21 06:32:56 CEST 2004

John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:

>> I think DG (Diego Garcia) should be an alias for IO (British Indian
>> Ocean Territory), GG (Guernsey) and JE (Jersey) should be aliases for
>> 830 (Channel Islands), and IM should be an alias for 833 (both Isle
>> of Man).  Of course, UK would be an alias for GB, as John said.
>
> I agree with IM vs. 833, but GG and JE should not be *separately*
> aliases for 830.  Guernsey and Jersey are historically quite different
> and distinct language areas.  *Jointly* they constitute 830.

OK, I'm convinced and have removed these aliases.

> As for DG, it's just a small part of IO.  This would be like making
> Massachusetts an alias for US.

Diego Garcia is by far the largest part of IO.  The other islands have a
combined population of 0.  But you are right, it is not coterminous with
IO, and so I've removed this alias as well.

> What's going on with the exceptional reservations is that other groups
> using 3166 code are also using these alongside of them, notably the
> DNS itself.  So they are pretty unlikely to step on them.

Makes sense.

BTW, I still haven't heard any feedback about 172 (Commonwealth of
Independent States), so I assume it's a legitimate region code.  It's
not the same plot of real estate as the Soviet Union (EE, LV, LT are not
members) so it couldn't be an alias for the deprecated SU.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/