Registered sgn-* tags

Peter Constable petercon at microsoft.com
Mon Jul 12 22:35:05 CEST 2004

> From: ietf-languages-bounces at alvestrand.no [mailto:ietf-languages-
> bounces at alvestrand.no] On Behalf Of Michael Everson

> There is a requirement to be able to generate more of this kind of
> tag, for signed speech. I hope that "grandfathered" doesn't mean that
> such will be forbidden in future, because that will not do.

I had reservations when these were registered a few years ago, not
because of the semantics being denoted but because of the way tags were
being formed. I still have reservations. If and when we extend a
successor of RFC 3066 to incorporate support for ISO 639-3, all of these
signed languages (and more) will have their own atomic, alpha-3
identifier.

Peter

Peter Constable
Microsoft Windows Division