New ISO 639 language identifier - Klingon

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Feb 25 17:24:50 CET 2004

At 02:49 -0500 2004-02-25, Tex Texin wrote:
>ugh. Is anyone bothered by the fact that we will now have a registered
>identifier for a language that we have decided not to encode in Unicode?

Languages are not encoded in Unicode. Scripts are encoded in Unicode.
The Klingon language is a remarkably successful and popular invented
language. There is no reason it should not have a language tag.

>We can represent it transliterated but not its "native" script.

Its native script is Latin. The other script is not used seriously by
its users, which is why it was not accepted for encoding. If it *had*
been so used, it would have been accepted.