(iso639.1574) New ISO 639 language identifier - Klingon

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Tue Feb 24 02:23:21 CET 2004

According to the rules in place in RFC3066 (not bis), as I understand them,
the tag 'i-klingon' will never be *deleted*, only deprected with a reference
to 'tlh'. There are several such deprecated tags already in the IANA
registry. In fact, note that rfc3066bis strongly encourages languages to
register with ISO639 before trying to register subtag values (which might
later be deprecated) in the IANA registry, so that there will be fewer
occurrences of this in the future (one hopes).

I was asking because i-klingon is an example of a grandfathered value and
Mark and I used it as an example in at least two places in draft-*-01.

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
http://www.webMethods.com
Chair, W3C Internationalization (I18N) Working Group
http://www.w3.org/International

It is not a feature.