RFC3066.bis: new I-D Posted...

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Mon Feb 16 21:19:30 CET 2004

Hi all,

There is a new draft posted on the IETF site here:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-phillips-langtags-01.txt

It was posted on the 14th.

What's different this time?

- We removed the key.value structure from extensions. These are now 2 to 32 character alphanum subtags with no defined structure.
- We added the concept of "extended language" subtags, to handle the comments by Peter Constable about language relationships stemming from future adoption of ISO639-3. These are also explicitly reserved for future use.
- We reserved single character subtags explicitly (these were implicitly reserved by the syntax previously).
- We revised the ABNF. Note that we have now unified all private use subtags with the same rules. That is the rules are the same for x-gabble and en-Latn-US-x-gabble.
- We added support for UN country ID numbers (as suggested by John Cowan and others). These were made the "ambiguity resolution mechanism" of choice for country IDs.

Best Regards,

Addison

Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture
http://www.webMethods.com
Chair, W3C Internationalization (I18N) Working Group
http://www.w3.org/International

It is not a feature.