Language Identifier List Criteria

Tex Texin tex at xencraft.com
Tue Dec 21 04:49:19 CET 2004

Mark,

For quotations, I prefer Lewis Carroll's:

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, 'it means
just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less.'

;-)

The distinctions you are drawing strike me a bit like the difference between
precision and accuracy- you can have one without the other. But that is an
aside.

Now if the meaning were not ambiguous, I could take something written by a
German, with blond hair, living and writing in Lichtenstein, and know that I
should label it de-LI. But, I am being told it is wrong to do that, I should
use de-CH.

And if I have an article written in Japanese, by a red head (but dyed), in
Japan, if I label it ja-JP, I am also wrong, it  should be just ja.

And when I ask, how to determine that what I am told is right, I am not getting
an answer I can apply, just some virtual hand waving.

So, whereas some might consider these edge cases, I consider the lack of
criteria tantamount to ambiguity.

However, just to be clear, in case my mail is being misinterpreted as an attack
on 3066 or its successor(s), that is not at all my intent. RFC 3066 is a
valuable tool, needed for consistency and interoperability. We can agree on
3066 as a naming convention. But there is also a need for guidelines for
semantics of the language tags. It's possible that there might be a need for
several different guidelines, one for linguists, one for software message
catalogs, one for labeling web pages, one for use in web services, etc. We have
noted in the thread that it might need to vary by application.
If so, so be it. I am just looking for a beginning to identifying the criteria
for some contexts.
If my comments were taken as an objection to 3066bis, they were not intended,
nor should they be taken, to be so.

Meanwhile, I await more suggestions for criteria.

On another related topic, I am considering for the next version of the table to
organize it differently.
It strikes me that for my needs, and my intended audience, that it is not as
interesting to list languages and noting which regions they are spoken, as to
list each of the regions and note the languages used there.
If I do that, I do not have to deal with meaningless identifiers and map them
to the correct ones to use.

So I might have:

region	languages
JP	ja
LI	de-CH (maybe others, I don't know.)
CH	de-CH, it, fr-FR, rm
US	en-US, es-US
CA	fr-CA, en-CA, iu

With this approach, I can suggest something like the most popular choices, not
rule out the existence of other languages being used, the lack of de-LI makes a
statement about de-LI vs de-CH, without being as explicit about criteria, other
than perhaps a combination of popular choices by major software vendors,
offical languages, and claims of encyclopedias and the like as to what is
spoken where.

This approach is more helpful to folks like me who are looking to answer what
they need to provide. If someone wants to know how many variants of German they
need, they can scan the table for all listings of de and de-*, and even scan
just the regions they support to determine their perhaps more exact needs.

It's also easier for me to accept edits of the list from people suggesting that
language xx-YY is used in region ZZ, without a lot of vetting effort.

Would that work for people?

tex