Language Identifier List Criteria

JFC (Jefsey) Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Tue Dec 21 03:43:43 CET 2004

Gentlemen,
I am a small Registry Manager and I consider the different practical and
low cost ways to implement a DNS ML.ML response to the real users
demands/needs, with the limited solutions provided by the RFCs. I fully
agree that my need is not application oriented, just DNS and network oriented.

1. in many countries the law forbids to make differences based upon racial,
cultural, etc. criteria. The WTO rules call for commercial balance and
reciprocity. These two principles means that sooner or later Civil Society
groups will obtain in some countries that when a  ccTLD starts supporting
one language, it has to support them all. This means that a ccTLD should
support lingual "local TLDs" in every language and turn alt-root, se we
have to find a solution.

Let me take an example to explain. The French corporation Renault can
register renault.cn in China. This commercially give its site a plus that a
Chinese car maker can object if he cannot register chinese-name.fr iun
reprocity. The way I implemented our DNS management I have no problem with
the several virtual zones this implies and the lingual registration site
and support to be offered.

2. however the real demand is not foreign.ascii but ML.ML. This means
Chinese user can use ML TLD, in Chinese. The CNNIC and the Chinese
Government made this possible in using what I name a "ULD" (user level
domain) we tested the various possibilities on a DNS test bed we ran
(following the ICP-3 ICANN document). The ULD consists in using an SLD as a
TLD (with its community, its image, the way it is entered). To support this
target there are three ways:

a) on a language's "locale" terminal, a plug-in will correct the entered
ML.ML into an acceptable ML.ML.TLD.
b) on cooperating ISPs or on the TLD servers the correction is carried via
a nameserver front-end (in the future an OPES)
c) outside the language community and its keyboards, the full international
version xn-name.xn-lang./Country.ccTLD is to be used.

The RFC 3066bis proposition offers the language/country (langtry?) codes.
China has distributed tens of millions of plug-ins. All the major ISPs
cooperate: most probably every Chinese user will use them by end 2005. This
plug in works with any other ULD, so we have to live with this.

This creates a major problem because ULDs are the only way to support the
language-country duality and the ML.ML demand, while being IDNA conformant.
But in practical life ULDs are SLDs. So nothing prevents anyone to register
an SLD which is used as an ULD in another TLD.

The proposition I have in mind is the following:

1. RFC 3066 uses ISO-639-2. This makes notation very confusing in DNS "-0z"
character set. There is a significant overlap. There is none if ISO 639-3
is used. So the language/country ULD identifier can be ISO-639-3.ISO
3166-2. And can follow the Chinese practice of being the name in the
country in the language. This way French in France will be identified in a
table as "fra.fr" and possibly registered as "france.fr" and used as ".france".

I note that this kind of ULD will fall under the legal right of the French
Gov to decide who should be its Registry Manager. So the issue will
immediately fall under the responsibility of politicians. Therefore, IETF
must either disregard this practical practical way to support ML.ML or
propose solutions now, before politicians step in.

2. a table should be worked out, including all the significant
ISO-639-3.ISO-3166-2 (i.e. a maximum of 1.500.000 entries) and their
significant non conflicting reserved SLDs. This list should be notified as
reserved (as in the past ccTLD.ccTLD was).

3. to support an access engine able to receive the default zone names ("*"
entry in the DNS) to accept other criteria than language and country.

jfc morfin