ja-Hani and ja-Kana ?

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Wed Nov 26 13:26:00 CET 2003

At 10:00 +0000 2003-11-26, Misha Wolf wrote:
>I've been asked to come up with a way of flagging separate
>Kanji and Katakana fields in our databases.  Looking at an
>old draft of ISO 15924, I found "Hani" and "Kana".  Are
>these still correct?  And would ja-Hani and ja-Kana be
>correct uses?

In the current UNPUBLISHED DRAFT

"Hani" is "Han ideographs"
"Hira" is "Hiragana"
"Hrkt" is "alias for Hiragana + Katakana"
"Kana" is "Katakana".
"Jpan" is "alias for Han + Hiragana + Katakana"

"Is" means "probably will be published" since we still wait for the
standard to be published. The RA will have some discussion about the
list before it goes live. I am not sure those aliases will survive.