Follies and insults (was: "my browser ... puts up a box"

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Sat May 31 15:04:38 CEST 2003

I accidentally posted this to unicode at unicode.org.  I am reposting it
here to clear the record.

=== start of original Unicode list posting ===

Marion Gunn scripsit:

> Ulster has 9 counties (3 south of NI's border, 6 north): I must ask if JC
> is  personally proposing to reduce Ulster to 2/3, expressing a radically
> new USA policy, or broadcasting for Reuters (some of us lay odds on the 3rd
> option)?

No, no, and no.  I was using the term in a loose and conventional fashion
to refer to the portion of the U.K. on the island of Ireland, as many
people do, and as you knew perfectly well.

As for my employer -- why don't you drop the letter "E" from your company
name, since it raises expectations that are no longer justified?

=== end of original posting ===

Post scriptum:  It was of course Mr. Everson who mentioned en-gb-ulster
and not me, so your original libel (to which I was tomfool enough to
offer a defense) falls to the ground utterly.  Nevertheless, I associate
myself with his remarks, of course.

--
But that, he realized, was a foolish            John Cowan
thought; as no one knew better than he          jcowan at reutershealth.com
that the Wall had no other side.                http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
        --Arthur C. Clarke, "The Wall of Darkness"