en-GB-oxford LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM

Mark Crispin MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU
Thu May 29 17:04:34 CEST 2003

On Thu, 29 May 2003, Michael Everson wrote:
> Although it is widely believed that en-US and en-GB differ in that
> the former spells "color" and "civilize" and the latter spells
> "colour" and "civilise", in fact this is not entirely the case.
> Oxford spelling prefers the spellings "colour" and "civilize". Oxford
> prefers -ize because this is the etymological spelling (from Greek
> -izein).

Hmm...should we have a en-US-poser to refer to the variant of American
English written by silly posers who adopt some (but not all) British
spellings and use some (but not all) British pronunciations?

en-US-poser would also include use of such words as "ye olde", "shoppe",
"warriour", etc.

en-US-poser is distinct from en-CA, which is a genuine cross between
British and American English.  The distinguishing aspect of en-US-poser is
that these people know the correct American spelling, but out of a desire
to appear more "educated" and "cultured" adopt this fake British veneer.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc