Timetable for action: May 31 is suggested

Peter_Constable at sil.org Peter_Constable at sil.org
Mon May 26 13:38:10 CEST 2003

John Cowan wrote on 05/26/2003 10:39:03 PM:

> > Right. Some of this began with Peter Edberg's discussion paper,
>
> Michael, while you are enumerating your interlocutors, can you give me
> the pointer to this paper that I requested?  Or can someone?  I'm
> in the dark here.

I do not know if this paper has been posted online. Searching on google
using keywords from the title, it doesn't turn up. Peter Edberg
distributed it to Michael and me back at the end of February. A couple of
weeks later, I was copied into a discussion on tagging for Chinese that
included Peter and others, and that discussion eventually made its way
onto this list. I think Peter had indicated he was going to join this list
-- I just checked and he is named on the list of subscribers -- and I've
assumed he has been lurking. I haven't seen input from him on since late
March, though, and I don't think he's ever posted to the list.

In relation to the requests Mark has made, I think the only questions
Peter's paper would raise are:

- whether a specific delimiter should separate purely-language portions of
a tag from portions identifying written form (so az-latn vs. az-w-latn,
for instance -- Peter didn't say he favoured this specifically; he also
suggested a possibility that "The first 4-character subtag indicates the
beginning of information that is specific to script or orthography.")

- whether defaults for written form could be assumed in some cases

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485