Here's what I have to say aboutthat?

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Mon May 26 15:42:27 CEST 2003

 > Can we have a quick show of hands now, not a vote per se, but can we
 > determine just how far we are from consensus?

Um...

Again? I thought that's what we were doing here... I saw responses from
a number of folks, many invited by M.Everson as experts that he
trusts/respects. There does appear to be general consensus on
registering the limited number of tags in question. There is only
question about one of the tags and that tag (sr-cyrl) has a number of
well-articulated statements in favor of it from said experts.

The separate question of a generative mechanism or revisions to 3066
should be kept as separate: there seems to be a number of good ideas and
considerations that need to be discussed and digested before
requirements can be laid out in full.

Given that Mark's submission with the "required" text references is now
about a week old, I would suppose that we can expect some action by the
Reviewer in about a week, one way or another, if we are to believe the
procedure in the RFC.

I am disturbed the lack of specificity in the quasi-rejections
to date and the seemingly endless trips back to the beginning of the
process, in spite of what appears to me to be general consensus. It
would be far better if the tags were just rejected for some palpable
reason, rather than keeping in this kind of rolling non-approved (but
not outright rejected) state. The RFC says nothing about the reviewer
having a "pocket veto".

Do we really need to trek back to the archives and assemble a complete
chronology of this discussion, complete with votes? Or does everyone
have to "vote" again three days later, just to be sure that, to use
another American electoral metaphor, the chads are not hanging loose
somewhere?

Best Regards,

Addison

--
Addison P. Phillips
Director, Globalization Architecture

+1 408.962.5487  mailto:aphillips at webmethods.com
Internationalization is an architecture. It is not a feature.

Chair, W3C I18N WG Web Services Task Force
http://www.w3.org/International/ws