LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM

Mark Davis mark.davis at jtcsv.com
Thu May 22 16:04:33 CEST 2003

This is extremely frustrating.

The distinctions among writing systems is absolutely crucial for
software. It may not make much difference to you personally whether
Chinese is written in simplified or traditional form, but I assure you
that it makes a huge difference to a great many people.

This distinction is inconceivably more important than the distinction
between "de", "de-1901", and "de-1996", which *are* simply differences
in written form and *were* registered. It is hard for me to think of
any rational reason for registering these minor written variants
(*much* less important than the difference between simplified and
traditional), and not registering the two variants of Chinese. (Cf.
http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-tags).

Can you confirm that this is your decision as registrar, to deny these
registrations? If it is, then we have little choice but to appeal
according to http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2028.txt and
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2026.txt.

Mark
________
mark.davis at jtcsv.com
IBM, MS 50-2/B11, 5600 Cottle Rd, SJ CA 95193
(408) 256-3148
fax: (408) 256-0799