sr-cyrl LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM

Francois Yergeau FYergeau at alis.com
Thu May 22 17:32:04 CEST 2003

Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
> It is my understanding that sr is normally written in Cyrillic, so
> this language registration is superflouous, IMHO

Regardless of whether Cyrillic is the default script for Serbian, this
registration is not superfluous, IMHO.  It is necessary to have it so that
one can express queries for content in Serbian using "sr" and content in
Serbian written in Cyrillic using "sr-Cyrl".  Not having a specific tag for
Cyrillic makes it impossible to use this feature (Language-range, section
2.5) of RFC 3066.

Regardless of whether Cyrillic is the default script for Serbian, it is
quite clear that it is widely written in both Cyrillic and Latin.  The
capability to query independently of script is therefore important and is
not available if "sr" is taken to mean "Serbian in Cyrillic script".

Regards,

--
François Yergeau