en-GB-oxford LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Sun Jun 15 17:43:09 CEST 2003

At 08:31 -0700 2003-06-15, Mark Crispin wrote:
>On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Michael Everson wrote:
>>  >Needless to say, those preferences are not universal; but fortunately we
>>  >have no need to discuss that matter.
>>  ISO prefers Oxford spelling. :-)
>
>ISO does some smart things, but they also do some pretty stupid
>things. Typically the smart things were based on sound technical
>judgement and the stupid things were based on politics.

I guess ISO chose particular language authorities so that there would
be uniformity in orthographic practice in ISO standards.

I'm sorry if you think Oxford spelling is "stupid", which is what I
guess you are saying, but for my part I consider Oxford to be the
highest of authorities for English lexicography. You may have another
preference.