en-GB-oxford LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM

Mark Crispin mrc at CAC.Washington.EDU
Sat Jun 14 18:36:15 CEST 2003

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003, Mark Crispin wrote:
> If it does, this is another indicator that the OED should be considered to
> belong to the entire English-speaking world and not just to the island
> whose southern part happens to be where the English language originated.

PS: No offense intended to my British colleagues.  In fact, it should be
considered an honor (honour, if they prefer) for their nation to be
selected as submitting the first entry for an "ideal" form of English.  I
would like to see an American source entry into this category as well; but
offhand none stand out in my mind as having the level of comprehensive
coverage of the OED.

I also believe that a definition of an "ideal" form of English that is
intelligible by all English speakers is a good thing.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.