Language Tags and Character Sets

Doug Ewell dewell at adelphia.net
Tue Jun 3 09:10:38 CEST 2003

Marion Gunn <mgunn at egt dot ie> wrote:

>> Then English in each area can be correctly labelled: "en-IE" is
>> general English as spoken in the whole Ireland.
>
> That is what I would like to use for Hiberno-English, if it has not
> already been registered.

You can use it right away.  Tags that consist of an ISO 639-1 or -2
language code followed by a hyphen and an ISO 3166-1 country code don't
have to be registered.  You can just tack them together.

So, it's en-IE.  Good, I'm glad we worked that out.

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California
 http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/