LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM (Newspeak)

John Clews Scripts2 at sesame.demon.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 00:16:11 CEST 2003

In message <3ED8DC1E.A348E935 at elisa.fi> Thor Kottelin writes:

> As language tagging is an intrinsically Good Thing,

Well, it's useful to do it when it's suitable to do it.
RFC 3066 describes the geeral context.

> the need for tagging is probably self-evident.

Probably _not_ self-evident, on the basis of the above
and previous evidence.

> Would this document be a web page instead of an email
> message, I would have used '<span lang="x-en-newspeak">'
> nine times already.

Why don't you just rely on doing that then? It's perfectly in line
with the RFC, and seems to be sufficiently well-formed as a tag
(i.e. the syntax is OK).

If you did that, other users are free to use it (if you inform them
of it, and _if_ they find it useful) or to ignore it (which is what
I would do if I came across it).

Best regards

John Clews

--
John Clews,
Keytempo Limited (Information Management),
Email:  Scripts2 at sesame.demon.co.uk
Web:    http://www.keytempo.com

Committee Member of ISO/IEC/JTC1/SC22/WG20: Internationalization;
Committee Member of ISO/TC37/SC2/WG1: Language Codes