Question: Scientific Latin and "la"

Sean M. Burke sburke at cpan.org
Thu Jan 30 04:07:52 CET 2003

At 11:51 AM 2003-01-30 +0000, Jon Hanna wrote:
>Is "la" the correct code for modern Latin, as used in binominals in biology,
>or do we have a need for a new registration?

Are you just wondering on theoretical grounds, or do you have a specific
application in mind?  I would say that "Antiaris toxicaria" is Latin only
in the same way that
"2-chloro-4-ethylamino-6-isopropylamino-1,3,5-triazine" is English.  That
is, for some purposes, it's more Latin than anything else, but for other
purposes you might as well just say it's not in any language, but is just
one of those unspellcheckable and sometimes unhyphenatable things that
usually get marked up as being in "technical" (or even "technical italic")
style.

--
Sean M. Burke    http://search.cpan.org/~sburke/