OS X 10.2.4 non-standard & unconstitutional

Jon Hanna jon at spin.ie
Tue Apr 15 17:47:21 CEST 2003

> Jo Wilkes <jwilkes at metabit.com> in response to Mark Crispin
> <MRC at CAC.Washington.EDU>
> > I tried to make the connection by pointing out that, in my opinion,
> > the entry Marion was referring to did not belong in any of the
> > categories where standards exist. (So there isn't a standard
> this entry
> > could violate.) These system preferences are usually "locales". And
> > "locales" are a topic already covered by
> > certain recent postings.
> >
> > Jo
> Jo,
> Irish objectors to that non-standard and unconstitutional langtag are
> being told it was chosen by and/or given the IETF stamp of approval by
> an IETF-appointed langtag reviewer, which (unless that claim is bogus)
> makes its chain of responsibility go back directly to IETF/IANA.
> mg

Oh deary.

"Ireland (Gaelic)" is not an IETF langtag. Whatever is using that human-readable text may or may not be implemented with an IETF langtag, but that's irrelevant.

"Gaelic" is not unconstitutional. It is non-constitutional, in that it is not the word used by Article 8 of the English version of Bunreact na hÉireann, however:

1. Nowhere does the constitution state that it is the only English word to be used to describe that language.

2. Nowhere does it mandate that specific forms of English (those which don't use the word "Gaelic" to refer to the Irish language) aren't covered by Article 8.2 (English as the second official language).

3. Nowhere does it insist that companies, whether foreign or domestic, must restrict their vocabulary in this manner.

4. Article 40.6.1.i gives us a freedom of speech that could clearly be seen to cover the use of the word "Gaelic" in this sense even if the constitution did take offence at it (arguably more so in this case, since it would become political speech). Apple could use some anti-Irish epithet for the language if they wanted to and it wouldn't be a constitutional matter.

5. While article 4 does mandate particular wording in the case of the name of the nation, An Post manage to deliver letters addressed to the "Republic of Ireland" without the breakdown of diplomatic relations with the country it came from.

6. The purpose of a constitution is to limit the actions of the state so as to guarantee the liberty of Irish citizens. If Apple are in anyway damaging your liberty take the matter to the courts.

The course of action for you is clear. You must post-haste arrange a referendum to rectify these problems in the constitution. Next you must lobby for us the declare war on Apple. Their fancy iMacs will be no match for the Irish Rangers. Neither of these actions would be on-topic here though.