Reordering of items... [was RE: LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM]

Addison Phillips [wM] aphillips at webmethods.com
Thu Apr 10 16:15:32 CEST 2003

I would prefer that the script ID be attached to the language tag (despite
pointing out the possible compatibility problems in an earlier email). Then
the guidelines on interpreting locale/resource-selection is much more
meaningful. That is, you can consider "zh-Hant" to be an atomic unit for
mapping to language resources. IOW it finally distinguishes Simplified from
Traditional in the resource hierarchy. So the order is:

  "zh-Hant","HK"
  "zh-Hant"
  "zh","HK"  // indeterminate if Trad or Simpl
  "zh"

*not*:

   "zh","Hant", "HK"
   "zh","Hant"
   "zh"

I think that script is intimately tied to how we interpret the language from
a software perspective. Orthographic, terminological, and cultural
distinctions are on a secondary plane, making the country less important
than the script. You could almost make the case that from a software
perspective "az-Latn" and "az-Cyrl" (for example) are different languages.
They are certainly distinct on a resource level.

On the other hand, for compatibility purposes, we could as easily say that
the script should be affixed to the language when considering the
resource/locale problem, that is:

   "zh-HK-Hant" is interpreted to be the same as "(traditional-zh)-HK" with
the latter being used for actual resource resolution.

Best Regards,

Addison