[Fwd]: Response to Mark's message]

Michael Everson everson at evertype.com
Thu Apr 10 09:58:00 CEST 2003

At 17:59 -0500 2003-04-09, Peter_Constable at sil.org wrote:
>Martin Duerst wrote on 04/09/2003 01:29:07 PM:
>
>>  In effect, 'orthography' could go as far as including things such as
>>  number formatting or date formatting, and maybe even sorting.

No, those are ancillary. Orthography is writing the words out
according to the appropriate rules. Sorting is another application,
as is (automatic) number formatting (relevant for automatic
spreadsheets for instance) and (automatic) date formatting (relevant
for menubars and date fields in email applications).

I use some "Irish" locale settings, but prefer ISO dates, and write
Irish or English text variously during the day. No single "language"
"locale" setting suits this.

Peter and I agree again....