Yiddish

John Cowan jcowan@reutershealth.com
Fri, 31 May 2002 09:06:32 -0400 (EDT)

Sean M. Burke scripsit:

> So I've got some stuff in Yiddish that I want to serve across HTTP, and I'm
> probably going to have two versions -- one in Latin script, and one in
> Hebrew script.  I want to be able to do content-negotiation so that the
> user will get the version that she or he prefers.  How to do it?

Boychik, your problem is that you want script negotiation, and from HTTP
you get only language negotiation, mnyeh.  So the Evil Impulse tells you to
overload what you got so that you can get what you haven't got.  To really
solve your problem a new HTTP RFC would be needed, kayn aynhore,
which would take time you also haven't got.  So probably you should
use x-yi-latn and x-yi-hebr to solve your problem.

Anyway, it's not likely that anyone who can still read the Mamaloshn would be
plain ignorant of the Hebrew script, so that's what you should serve up by
default.  Transliteration will help such folks vi a toytn bankes.
(For shlemiels like me, OTOH, it would be just the thing.)

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com