Haitian

Michael Everson everson@evertype.com
Tue, 7 May 2002 16:49:06 +0100

At 17:47 +0200 2002-05-07, Havard Hjulstad wrote:

>>  To get an ISO 639 alpha-2 or alpha-3 identifier, there are some
>>  requirements. You will find it all described at
>>  http://lcweb.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/iso639jac.html. There is also an
>>  online form.

>BTW, when is the 639-1 freeze going to happen, such that we can be
>guaranteed that there will be no additions to -1 of languages already
>mentioned in -2?
>
>There are no plans to "freeze" 639-1 more than it already is. Additions to
>639-1 of items that are not added to 639-2 will happen only in "extreme"
>cases, if at all.

H=E5vard, does this mean you envision adding 639-1 codes which have
been agreed NOT to be added in order to facilitate tagging stability
on the internet? Every time this comes up it sounds to me as though
you wish to add codes which the JAC has agreed NOT to. I am extremely
concerned by this.
--
Michael Everson *** Everson Typography *** http://www.evertype.com