ISO 3166 (country codes) Maintenance Agency Web pages move

Marco Cimarosti marco.cimarosti@essetre.it
Fri, 1 Mar 2002 11:32:15 +0100

Asmus Freytag wrote:
> There's a difference between house numbers and street
> addresses. House
> numbers, which number every house in a city or village
> starting at 1 are
> the older system and I have been in places where these house
> numbers have
> been maintained (although perhaps no longer used for postal delivery).

You have probably been in Venice... On each island in the town, houses are
numbered starting from 1. That's why the house number in a Venetian
addresses is often 4 digits, and why there is no reference to the usual
Italian words for "road", "square", etc.

_ Marco