Updated! LANGUAGE TAG REGISTRATION FORM : es-americas

Peter_Constable@sil.org Peter_Constable@sil.org
Wed, 5 Jun 2002 11:22:41 -0500

On 06/04/2002 12:56:31 PM Youngmin Radochonski wrote:

>hi All,
>
>Per Harald's request(attached),
>the registration form of es-americas has been updated.

As explained in my response to Harald, I think this is inadequate, and I
would not be in favour of this registration request. It would be getting
closer to what I think is needed if the "other relevant information" field
were changed to something like the following:

-----------
Any other relevant information:

     This tag is intended for use with localised content that has
     been tailored (e.g. in regard to vocabulary) so as to make it
     usaful for Spanish audiences throughout Latin America.

     It would be appropriate for a server to deliver content using
     this tag in response to requests for content using any of the
     following:

          es, es-AR, es-BO, es-CL, es-CO, es-CR, es-CU, es-DO,
          es-EC, es-FK, es-GT, es-HN, es-MX, es-NI, es-PA, es-PE,
          es-PR, es-PY, es-SV, es-UY, es-VE

     It would not necessarily be appropriate, however, to deliver
     content that uses any of these tags in response to a request
     expressed in terms of the tag es-americas.

It would be even better if it were possible to provide info as to what
kinds of linguistically-tailored processes ought to work on es-americas
content. For instance, can one assume that spelling or grammer checkers
designed to work for es-MX should work well on es-americas content?

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>