ISO 3166 (country codes) Maintenance Agency Web pages move

John Cowan jcowan@reutershealth.com
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:42:55 -0500

Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

> There is a point of view that says that *all* such identifiers (for
> countries, languages, etc.) should just be randomly generated strings for
> the kind of reasons mentioned. (Not that I'm arguing for that.)

It is often suggested that meaningless identifiers are more stable
than Real World names.  I would point out that while no meaningless
identifier has been in use for as much as two centuries, the
name "Roma" (of the city, not the people) has had a stable
referent for the last 2755 years.

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com