xx-XX-nnnn vs. xx-nnnn in Chinese and German

Peter_Constable@sil.org Peter_Constable@sil.org
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:40:11 -0600

On 02/13/2002 07:24:28 PM Torsten Bronger wrote:

>Am Donnerstag, 14. Februar 2002 00:12 schrieben Sie:
>> At 21:57 +0100 2002-02-13, Torsten Bronger wrote:
>> >I need de-AT/DE for the mapping on LaTeX identifiers.  LaTeX has to
>> >distinguish, because it generates some text.  E.g. the date:  "Januar" =

in
>> >Germany, "J=E4nner" in Austria.  So if I write a letter in XML which is
>> >converted to LaTeX which then puts in the date -- the country of=20
origin
>> >is essential.
>>
>> The spelling of January in date formats is a locale issue not a
>> language tagging issue.
>
>Granted, but it's convenient to include this into the language tag.

It may be convenient, but it may perhaps also be confusing to have=20
distinct tags where there isn't a clearly documented basis for distinction =

or any indication of the kinds of IT applications in which the distinction =

may be appropriate.=20

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter=5Fconstable@sil.org>