xx-XX-nnnn vs. xx-nnnn in Chinese and German

Martin Duerst duerst@w3.org
Thu, 14 Feb 2002 13:24:53 +0900

At 02:56 02/02/14 +0100, Torsten Bronger wrote:
>Am Donnerstag, 14. Februar 2002 00:24 schrieben Sie:

> > Is this referring, then, to orthographic differences between the two
> > countries?
>
>To be honest I don't know (never been in Austria long enough) ...
>I don't think so.  At least I've never read an example.  But different
>*words*.  In Germany, they say 'A', and in Austria the same entity is
>called 'B'.  Or words that are special to one language:  The Austrian
>"heuer" (I even don't know the spelling :-) means "in this season".
>It is unknown in Germany and there is no (simple) counterpart.
>
>However, there is no color<-->colour or center<-->centre thing in the
>Duden, as far as I know.

I also don't know offhand of spelling differences between
Germany and Austria. But there are some spelling differences
between these and Switzerland: Switzerland doesn't use the 'sz'.

There are some vocabulary differences between all three, though
in most cases, two of them are the same. Austria uses 'Ja"nner'
for January, Germany and Switzerland use 'Januar'. (a lot of
Swiss dialects use something like 'Ja"ner', but that's not
used in writing, Swiss do distinguish more between dialect
and standard language than Austrians, in my opinion).

Another example is apricot: 'Aprikose' in Germany and Switzerland,
but 'Marille' in Austria. When Austria joined the EU, a tough part
of the negotiations was to get permission to use separate product
terms for such cases.

An example where Switzerland is different: Parking is 'parken'
in Germany (and most probably Austria, not sure), but 'parkieren'
in Switzerland.

Regards,    Martin.