Language tags that denote writing systems

starner@okstate.edu starner@okstate.edu
Mon, 09 Dec 2002 12:45:01 -0600 (CST)

>I don't think so. The current use, and hence the current registrations
>(aside from the sgn-* registrations) may, but I think 3066 was very
>successful in arriving at a reasonable way to encode languages.

Then what about zh? As a tag for written languages, it's clear; as a
tag for spoken languages, it includes several mutually incomprehsible
languages. All written versions of English are easily mutually
comprehisible; but there are times I feel it would be easier for me
handle written French then spoken British.

I don't see what the problem is converting yi-Latn to yi is; even if
it's not entirely correct, it will get done anyway. Worry more about
the incorrect xx-foo to xx conversions.