Language tags that denote writing systems

Jon Hanna jon@spin.ie
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 11:45:35 -0000

> I don't think it's necessary to wait for any RFC or ISO document
> to approve
> the yi-hebr and yi-latn codes I've requested.  The fact that
> there will be
> a future standard for script codes (which imputes meaning to the
> character-strings "hebr" and "latn") doesn't mean that these yi-hebr and
> yi-latn codes have to wait for that standard.

Unless we can formalise a mechanism whereby one can programmatically go from
yi-latn to yi on audio then such codes may do more harm than good.

There is perhaps a similar need to be able to go from yi-latn to latn for
systems that need not know the language, but do need to know the script.